How To Remove Super Glue From Eyeglasses: 5 Easiest Methods
Welcome to our expert guide on safely removing super glue from your eyeglasses. We understand that accidents happen, and it can be frustrating trying to figure out the best solution when it comes to a sticky situation like this.
Lucky for you, we have years of experience in handling delicate eyewear and have compiled the most effective techniques for removing super glue without causing damage. Keep reading as we walk you through step-by-step how to save your beloved glasses.
How To Get Super Glue off Glasses With Warm Water
If you've ever had to deal with glue on your glasses, you know how frustrating it can be. But fear not! The best way to remove that pesky adhesive is actually pretty simple: just use warm water.
- Mix some dish soap into a bowl of warm water until suds form
- Dip a soft cloth into the soapy solution and press it onto the glue. Covering the damp cloth in plastic wrap will help keep it moist as you wait for the glue to soften - which can take up to three hours
- Once the glue has been given enough time to soak, simply remove the plastic wrap and wipe off any softened residue with another clean cloth
- You may need to repeat this process a few times before all traces of superglue are gone from your lens
How To Get Super Glue off Glasses With Alcohol
When it comes to removing glue from plastic and glass lenses, using alcohol is a safe bet. However, if your lenses have any coating on them, you should proceed cautiously. It's always best to test this method by trying it out along one corner edge to ensure it won't cause any damage.
Here are the steps for removing glue from your glasses using alcohol:
- Take a soft cloth and moisten it with isopropyl alcohol.
- Use the cloth to gently rub off the glue. Be prepared to put in some elbow grease as this process may require some effort. As you go along, be sure to rotate the cloth frequently so that you're always working with a fresh section.
- If necessary, try using either a razor blade or your fingernail (if they've been softened up) to scrape away any remaining bits of glue. Just keep in mind that this technique isn't suitable for use on coated lenses; also exercise care when doing this so as not to scratch or leave marks on your glasses.
- After removing all traces of adhesive residue, clean your glasses thoroughly using warm water and soap.
- Finally, dry them carefully before wearing them again – no one wants streaky specs!
How To Get Super Glue off Glasses With Toothpaste
When it comes to getting rid of glue on your glasses, toothpaste might be the simplest trick you could try. Apply a small amount of toothpaste onto the affected area and gently rub away the glue residue. Afterward, be sure to clean and dry your glasses thoroughly. However, be cautious not to use toothpaste that contains micro-scrubbers as this can damage the lenses with scratches.
How To Get Super Glue off Glasses With Acetone
To remove glue residue from your glasses, try this easy method that doesn't involve harsh chemicals
- Grab a cotton ball or swab and soak it in your solution of choice
- Gently apply the saturated cotton tip to the glue and give it some time to soften
- Once you notice the adhesive starting to break down, wipe away any remaining residue with a clean cloth
- Clean your glasses as usual
If you have plastic frames or lenses with specialized coatings like tints, using acetone may not be the best option for removing glue residue. In these cases, opt for this alternative approach instead:
How To Get Super Glue off Glasses Without Acetone
- Combine dish soap and warm water in a 1:4 ratio
- Apply a clean cloth in the mixture to the affected area. Allow the solution to seep into the glue for a few minutes until it softens
- Gently wipe away the residue with your cloth, or use a scraper if needed
- Depending on how much glue is present, you may need to repeat this process several times