How To Make Sunglasses Darker: A Quick & Simple Guide
Can I Make My Sunglass Lenses Darker?
You can make your sunglass lenses darker. It is not recommended to dye prescription lenses or expensive frames; however, it is suitable for ordinary plastic sunglasses. The lenses of these sunglasses may pop out of the frames, so you can dye the lenses and frames together or separately.
How Do You Make Sunglasses Darker?
You can darken your sunglasses in several ways, some of which require more effort than others. Here s a list of the most popular ways to darken your sunglasses:
- The simplest way to darken your sunglasses is to ask the sales assistants who sold you the glasses if they have any exchangeable lenses in darker shades, such as fire or black iridium.
- If you already possess a pair of sunglasses, consider visiting an optometric shop, as they may offer dyes capable of darkening the lenses to your desired preference.
- Get tinted lenses. They come in a variety of shades and densities, from light to dark. To match existing frames, tinted lenses of the same color are available. If you don't have tinted lenses, you can purchase tinted sunglasses frames.
- If you want to darken your sunglasses without tinted lenses, lens coatings may be the answer! Many coatings come in different shades and densities, and are scratch resistant, so your sunglasses will last longer. Applying a lens coating is easy and can help protect your eyes.
- Photochromic lenses offer a great alternative to tinted lenses or coatings to darken sunglasses, as they adjust automatically to the level of light they're exposed to - darkening in bright sunlight and lightening in dimmer conditions. However, they don't provide the same level of protection as tinted lenses or coatings.
- Polarized lenses are a great alternative for reducing glare and darkening sunglasses without the need for tinted lenses or coatings. They are perfect for activities like driving, skiing, and fishing, since they reduce the amount of reflective light from surfaces like water and snow. Additionally, polarized lenses offer an extra layer of protection for your eyes.
How Do You Dye Your Sunglasses At Home?
Note: To dye the individual parts of the sunglasses, first remove the lenses and place them in the dye mixture. After the parts have dried, reassemble the sunglasses.
Mix the dye, specifically designed for eyeglasses or clothing dye, with distilled water instead of tap water to avoid discoloration. Heat the mixture in a pot to a temperature between 190 and 200 F.
Clean the glasses by wiping off all fingerprints and any other residues. Soak the glasses in the heated dye solution for a maximum of 30 minutes.
Use tongs to take the sunglasses out of the dye.
Place the sunglasses on a towel to dry.
If you wish to dye the individual parts separately, remove the lenses before placing the sunglasses in the dye mixture. Reassemble the sunglasses after the parts have dried.
Are Darker Sunglasses Better for Your Eyes?
Dark colors such as brown, gray, and green are ideal for everyday use and most outdoor activities. These darker hues are designed to reduce eyestrain and lessen the glare in moderate to bright conditions. Gray and green lenses will not distort color, however, brown lenses may slightly distort colors.
Can You Tint Polarized Sunglasses?
Tinting can cause harm to the polarized film inside the lens, resulting in a decrease in performance and risk of breakage.